May 17, 2009

Katharine the Nerd

So I (finally) saw Star Trek tonight, and as a certifiable "girl nerd", I'd say my opinion matters. What is a "girl nerd" Kathy? Well, girl nerds are young ladies like myself who manage to encompass many nerd-like affections while at the same time are not completely clueless when it comes to hair and make-up. I'm kind of being sarcastic, but these days "girl nerds" are way cooler than they used to be (I think). I'm a "girl nerd" because I like to play video games.... okay I reeeeeally like to play video games. I play Left 4 Dead on Xbox, and was a total World of Warcraft player for a good two years (*ahem am I alone here?). I also reeeeeeally enjoy "nerdy boy movies", like Star Trek, also including all the Lord of the Rings movies which I saw at midnight showings, and also including anything and everything Harry Potter. FYI the next Harry Potter movie comes out on July 15, and there's a chance we're gonna be traveling during that time, but I plan on seeing it at midnight wherever we are. If you've read the books, you know that this movie is gonna be RIDICULOUS!!! Go watch the trailers, specifically trailer 4b, at the apple website:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harrypotterandthehalfbloodprince/

Anyways.... back to Star Trek. In the past 10 or so years there have been a slew of action/comic book/sci-fi /fantasy movies that have come out. Some have been awesome, and some have been... well, trash. Some of the good ones: The first two X-Men movies, but not the third, which had different writers and director. Bryan Singer made the first two awesome movies, but then went on to make Superman Returns, which was disappointing. Last year's Iron Man - another good one plus Robert Downey Jr..... enough said. I already mentioned Harry Potter & LOTR - very much worth it, plus my second cousin, Orlando Bloom, is in LOTR so that adds an extra bonus! The newest Batman movies, Batman Begins and The Dark Night, stand out at the top of the list for me. It was obvious that The Dark Night was one of the best movies of last year. It's those films with characters that feel like real people that succeed.... and the ones that have good music. I won't list the bad ones... that's mean, but again BACK to Star Trek...

The survey says: It was good, BUT because it got WAY to hyped up, I was expecting a tiny bit more. I say that with caution because I know a lot of people will disagree with me. I did enjoy the movie, but it didn't absolutely knock my socks off like The Dark Knight did last year. But I still liked it - Kirk and Spock seemed like real people who I liked and cared about. AND the music was composed by Michael Giacchino, who composed the amazing big band score to The Incredibles, and composes pretty much everything that J.J. Abrams does. He is very very cool.

Anyways, thanks for reading this ridiculous blog and letting me talk about nerdy stuff. I'm sure there are some super nerds out there who could trump my knowledge and opinions, but hopefully they won't be too harsh :)

If I've put you off going to see Star Trek, then I am sad. It is good. Go see it. If for no other reason that Spock it hot. There I said it.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Terminator 2: Judgment Day? You would really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete